Sunday, August 22, 2010

My Wonders of DAVAO....


Destination: Davao
Thru: AirPhil Express
Duration: 1 hour and 45 minutes (from Manila)

It was a rainy afternoon in Manila (Quezon City to be specific) that almost lead me to tears and fear of not making it at the airport in time for my departure. I was sleepy at the cab, but the excitement drew me back of looking for airplanes in the sky, thinking if that was heading to Davao as well. I was booked to depart Manila at 8:45PM and expected to be at Davao City by past 10PM.My foot officially landed at Davao City airport at 10:56. Hurriedly, I went out of the airport and waited for my friend (Christian) to fetch me. I was about to light a cigar when he called me up on my mobile, informing me that they are on their way to the airport and told me not to light my cigar for it is prohibited which can cause me Ph 10,000 as penalty. I replied accordingly that I knew that it is not allowed in Davao after reading it on the website and putting back the single stick on the cigar case.


Mabuhay Taxi in my surprise was our ride through the city. We checked in past 11PM at the New Residency Hotel just to leave our things and head to the nearest bar for me to experience the life at night in Davao City. We went to a Shish a bar called “Some Place Else” a very popular place known for Shish a venture. I ordered grilled beef patty burger and some beers. Christopher (known as Topeng – Christian’spartner) told me that it was one of the very few spot were chilling is a market. This somehow, transpired by the other group of people aging around 17 and above that lurks the place. We finished 3 bottles of beers each before we decided to switch to a different place.Torres Compound – A “Malate Like” environment where most of the people are partying. This place is known from variants to variants from suburban theme dishes and music, to electronic to pop, hip-hop to r and b. I can say Davao is crazy at night. We continue our alcohol party at Jickong’s Bar where they have huge flat screen TV that plays Prince of Persia, which made me realize that it appears more as a movie house as to a club. Impatiently enough that I can’t handle I request to light my cigar which I have to do a specific spot where smoking is allowed. Mind you, beers and such alcoholic drinks are only allowed to be served until 12 midnight. Doing so after such timeframe would mean the line of your business to closure.

Which I find, justifiable, fair andclassic.Autoshop Compound – A “Timog Like” place where the bars are put in a class level to name a few were Fat Bobbies and Hybrid where I was introduced to some of their friends.Boyzone – Similar to “Palawan Bar” of Cubao, popularly known for gay clients. It was a videoke bar where everyone can sing while you enjoy shots of alcohol or in my case a cup of iced tea. It was past 2AM when we decided to go back at the hotel and rest for we will be having all possible fun fare activities by tomorrow.8AM when I woke up and hurriedly went out to check how Davao City looks like with the sun. It was pretty like Manila, each corners, highways, buildings, restaurants etc have something like I’ve been to in Manila. The highway just reminded me of Araneta Avenue, the Chinese inspired street facade just looked the same as what is it in Chinatown, Ermita. An alley that looks like Sampaloc, Manila. Which made me wonder that I am not in Manila anymore so I stopped thinking of Manila and started wondering what’s with Davao? As plan was set for us to visit Samal Island. A 30 minute land and ferry ride from Sta. Ana Wharf took us to the one of the wonders of Samal Island.


Destination: Maxima Resort – Pena Plata Island Garden – City of SamalA very familiar spot wherein I saw a week before Davao invasion is a man made slide featured in Trip na Trip (a tourist guide theme show in ABS-CBN). It was indeed a blast of surreal experience as we dive and swim the see that is 80 Meters deep. I was able to jump off the diving board landing to clear water on which you won’t be able to see visible land beneath the water. Gliding through the man made slide which again will bring you off all fears and excitement. Truly, I enjoyed the 3 hours stay at Maxima resort.Habal Habal – a native term they used for transportation. It was a motorcycle ride that made me faint on my knees for I am not that fond of riding motorcycles (due to a very disappointing experience).

Destination: Hagimit Falls
After Maxima, we went to Hagimit Falls. A garden restored park amidst the inviting cool waters of Hagimit. A very popular falls of Samal for the clear, cold and refreshing water that will surely leave you freezing. However, the sun that shines stood high makes it more inviting and enjoyable to experience. We only stayed at Hagimit for like an hour, for we will be needing to ride the “habal habal” thingy again for another 30 minutes for us to reach Talikud Island.
Talikud Island: Isla Reta Resort.



Another boat ride which only lasted for 10 to 15 minutes from the terrains of Samal. An isletwhere you can experience rich sand as Boracay. We were invited for a birthday party which made it more in vigorous. Dinner was set, with a lot to offer on my plate.

Humba” a native way to cook adobo. Even though it is somehow similar to adobo, it has more flavours on it. The bell pepper cuts enriched the taste of the soy sauce which for sure is a native produce one for it definitely tasted feisty and fiery from my taste buds to my throat.
After the dinner, we settle our tents and prepare for the night. We’ve discussed a lot of things about Davao and other islands surrounding it, on how beautiful it was compared to other provinces like Cebu, Iloilo, Dagupan, Bacolod etc.


Most of them were able to travel islands to islands, city to city, cheerful people to not. They were able to experience the beauty of Philippines. That being said made me realize to invite my sister (Angie) to celebrate her birthday outside the Metro. After a day, my sister phoned me, inviting me if I were interested to join her to Cebu on October 28-31 on which I am excited to experience as well.The sun shone at the horizon, together with it was scattering rain shower – which made the ambiance of Talikud Island so blessed. I woke up 4:00 AM watching the shore, thinking of what’s going to happen next, thinking of what will I be doing after Davao, in Manila? Is someone waiting for me to be back? Or is it just me thinking too much about it? I made some phone calls, I was afraid to ask the question. It’s not the right time.

6AM when the gates of Isla Reta opened, I roam through the alleys of Talikud Island, settle in a sari sari store and ordered a hot coffee. Generous enough, they provided hot water without a charge and sip on my hot coffee while smoking my Marlboro Lights. While sipping my coffee, I was observing how the people of Talikud Island spent their days in that beautiful environment. People are awaked as early as 6 AM. Some are preparing the church for the early mass; others were sweeping their verandas waiting for a friend to pass by and to chit chat with. Others are preparing a feast for a 7 year old girl celebrating her birthday – which made possible after winning the lottery. It was indeed an experience I still recall after 30 days of being at Davao. (That made this blog entry so late yet so fresh!)

I roam around the island by myself while my friends are still sleeping; I was asking a lot of questions to myself. What am I here for? Is it really just to forget? Or is it I am preparing for something bigger which I never thought would happen? Questions that made me a fool, forgetting to enjoy and relax the magnificent view of Samal through Talikud. It was 9AM when everyone was awake preparing the food for our lunch. I and Christian went snorkelling on the other side of the island. Starfishes, little fishes coloured grey and blue, flying fishes welcomes us beneath the white sand waters of Talikud. It was so far one of the best Island I’ve been through.
Wait for the continuation of my journey to Davao.

WAIT FOR DAY 3 - POST DAVAO INVASION...
FOR MORE IMAGES: VISIT MY FB PAGE...

2 comments:

Rome Diwa said...

ay bonga ka teh! winneru!

solomon said...

thank you! as promised I will begin again...yet another journey!!!